(AP) – Rodents predict weather trends. Why?
However, an equally fair question about Groundhog Day is: why not? And more importantly, why would Punxsutawney Phil always hog the press?
The little animal that heralds (or delays) spring has taken root in some parts of American culture. And while Phil and his ilk are the most famous in Pennsylvania, there is a surprisingly wide array of other creatures who have felt the need (or at least their handlers have) to risk their reputations to “predict” the meteorology of the dead. of winter. Here we only offer a few.
Before we take a look, pause for a moment to recall one particular groundhog from back in the day—Charlotte, a deputy for Staten Island Chuck, who predicted six more weeks of winter in 2014 before being hammered out by the then-Mayor of New Zealand York City, Bill, was dropped by DeBlasio and dies a week later.
However, take a disclaimer with you on board. This is just a fraction of Groundhoggery, offered in no particular order. Please do not be offended if your pet is not present. Maybe next year.
- JIMMY THE GRUNDSCHEIN, Wisconsin: Caused controversy in 2015 after biting the mayor of Sun Prairie on the ear.
- MILLTOWN MEL, NJ: Event ran into trouble with state laws this year after the previous forecaster expired.
- WOODY THE WOODCHUCK, Michigan: Emerged from a tiny green door in a small man-made tree stump on Thursday.
- WOODSTOCK WILLIE, Illinois. Saw his shadow on Thursday. Location where the best PR of all time – the 1993 film “Groundhog Day” – was filmed.
- OCTORARO ORPHIE, Pennsylvania: Forecasting from a home base in Quarryville in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Due to Pennsylvania Dutch folklore that helped create the Groundhog Day tradition, there are several in this region including Mount Joy Minnie and Dover Doug.
- STATEN ISLAND CHUCK, New York: Longtime predictor in the New York borough. The current mayor was absent this year.
- BUCKEYE CHUCK, Ohio: Another Chuck, this one further inland. That year, the chuck used publicly was reportedly a stuffed chuck after an animal rights group objected to the treatment of a live chuck.
- GENE. BEAUREGARD LEE, Georgia: Claims a high accuracy rate. Phil objected this year.
Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.