Barn fireplace began after proprietor tries to smoke rodents out

0
152

Addison, Wisconsin (CBS 58) – The Washington County Sheriff’s Office was informed Thursday of a barn fire near the Yellowstone Trail and Watercress Road in the city of Addison.

The Washington County Dispatch Center received multiple calls that the barn on the property was completely on fire.

The barn was uninhabited and served as a storage barn on the property.

The Allenton fire department arrived on site within minutes and began to extinguish the fire.

No fire or police personnel were injured.

The homeowner told MPs she had a rodent problem in the barn. According to the owner, she decided to place a “smoke bomb” device between the lower flashes on the west side of the barn to try to smoke out the rodents. The owner then covered the gap in the enclosure with a blanket to prevent the smoke from escaping from the walls of the barn.

The barn and its contents were a total loss of $ 20,000.

There was minimal content in the barn.

The Allenton fire chief discovered that the “smoke bomb” had set off the west wall of the barn and that the fire was spreading rapidly due to the age of the building.

The Yellowstone Trail was closed for about two hours to accommodate emergency vehicles.

The Allenton Fire Department was supported by West Bend, Slinger, Hartford, St. Lawrence, Kohlsville, Jackson, Theresa, Knowles, Iron Ridge, and Neosho. Lifestar Ambulance supported the fire department on site.