Rodents spark fireplace in Waterton Canyon after chewing electrical field

0
113
Rodents spark fire in Waterton Canyon after chewing electrical box

Fire investigators determined that a wildfire was started by rodents in Waterton Canyon early Wednesday, West Metro Fire tweeted.

According to the fire department, rodents chewing on wires in an electrical box shorted out the system, causing arcing and sparking. A fire formed on the dry grass and burned near Strontia Springs Dam on what was described as a steep and rugged slope for about half an acre.

waterton-canyon-1-west-metro.jpg

WEST METRO FIRE

The fire brigade responded and quickly extinguished the fire. The high humidity overnight also helped put down the flames.

The crews also constructed a hose line to carry water from the engine to the fire and dug a fire line around the perimeter.

West Metro remained on site from 11:00 a.m. to work on hot spots in the fire area.

There was no threat to nearby buildings or people in the area.

The fire was caused by rodents chewing on wires in an electrical box, shorting out the system, causing arcing and sparks and igniting the dry grass. No buildings were threatened. 3/3 pic.twitter.com/JRm7ey4kqe

— WestMetroFire (@WestMetroFire) September 21, 2022