Company takes on Lincoln Manor over mattress bugs | Information, Sports activities, Jobs

0
74

News File Photo Alcona County’s Executive Director on Aging Lenny Avery works at his desk in the agency’s Lincoln office in this October 2020 news file photo.

LINCOLN – Frustrated at being unable to provide services to Lincoln Manor residents due to months of bed bug infestation, Alcona County’s Commission on Aging employees have begun campaigning for the state on behalf of the seniors living at the facility.

The agency’s policy is to suspend services until Prime Properties Management, owner of the Lincoln facility, announces that the infestation has been treated.

The agency was recently notified that the common area and laundry at Lincoln Manor are bed bug free. However, the agency’s Family Service coordinator Debbie McKay said she couldn’t get management to confirm that the homes are free of infestation.

The news could not reach Prime Properties Management for comment.

The Executive Director of the Aging Commission, Lenny Avery, said his team had reached out to state and local government officials, including the district’s No. 2 Health Department and the Michigan State Housing Development Authority.

Avery said the problem had become a public health crisis. He noted that most of the seniors at Lincoln Manor need the agency’s services – especially those who need chores like cleaning their homes or needing help with bathing.

Avery said a customer needed bathing services three times a week, but its staff had not provided it in the past two months.

“I just believe it has now become a nuisance and a public health crisis for these people.” Avery said. “I think we as an agency need to put our finger on the scales and alleviate some of the things and problems they are going through.”

In addition to concerns about the health of older people, Avery’s agency believes Prime Properties management is now taking revenge on a resident who first spoke to The News in August.

Ron Williams, who lives at Lincoln Manor, spoke to The News about a story about the bed bugs that were released on Aug. 12. He told The News that he once had bed bugs in his apartment but hadn’t seen them sprayed for them since his apartment.

A photo of Williams that accompanied the story showed a pack of cigarettes on a side table next to his daybed. Williams, who has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, has oxygen.

The next day, facility management gave Williams a notice that he “Willfully or negligently causes a serious and persistent health risk” because he was “It was determined that he has oxygen / has oxygen in his unit and is smoking.”

The notification asked him to either eliminate the health hazard or move off. If he didn’t do it within seven days, Williams would be tried for eviction. He was also told that he owed $ 75 for three months of late rental payments – although he was not told what months he was late and said he was always paid during a 10-day grace period.

Williams said he didn’t want to pay the late fees because he doesn’t know what months the late fees are being charged and because he doesn’t yet know if he’ll be evicted.

Williams is frustrated and said he consulted a lawyer.

“I just don’t understand what they’re going to do” he said. “They’ll drive me out in a minute and I’ll be fine the next minute.”

Crystal Nelson can be reached at 989-358-5687 or cnelson@thealpenanews.com.

Latest news and more in your inbox