by: NBC4 staff, Ray’Anthony L. Bruster
Posted: Feb 2, 2021 / 2:57 PM EST
Updated: February 2, 2021 / 3:04 PM EST
COLUMBUS (WCMH) – Columbus and Cleveland ranked fifth and sixth in a national poll of the worst cities with bed bugs. The survey was conducted by Orkin, the pest control company.
Their list is made up of the top 50 cities with frequent bed bug cases and is based on treatment data from the metro areas where Orkin performed the most bed bug treatments from December 1, 2019 to November 30, 2020. The ranking includes both inpatient and commercial treatments.
Experts say bed bugs can rest for several months before festering for blood, their source of food. Bed bug bites can have different effects on different people, says Benjamin Hottel, Orkin technical service director.
“Everyone definitely reacts. There are people who do not react at all. There are some people who have delayed reactions, ”says Hottel, adding that a bad infestation can lead to more bite marks and discomfort.
Getting rid of bed bugs can also be difficult. According to Hottel, heat can be used to kill all stages of bedbug life, but it can be difficult to do on your own.
Typically, bed bugs live in cramped areas such as couches, purses, and clothes. According to Hottel, a professional may need to get involved to fully debug an area.
“You can get into cracks and wrinkles that you might miss, and it’s best to find a professional,” he also mentioned pest control agents use certain insecticides to kill the bed bugs.
Experts say to keep suitcases and bags away from bed when visiting hotels if bed bugs are discovered.
Orkin uses the acronym SLEEP to help travelers find bed bugs:
- S.Examine the room for signs of infestation. Look for tiny, black, ink-colored stains on mattress seams, in soft furniture, and behind headboards. You can even hide in power outlets and picture frames.
- L.ift and look in bed bugs hiding: the mattress, the box spring bed and other furniture as well as behind skirting boards, pictures and even torn wallpaper.
- E.Luggage float off the bed and off the wall. The safest places are in the bathroom or on counters.
- E.Check your luggage carefully as you repack it and when you return home from a trip. Always keep your luggage away from the bed. Also, double-check all used furniture and clothing before bringing them to your home, and double-check after guests visit.
- P.Tumble-lace all tumble-dry clothes on the highest setting from your luggage in the dryer for at least 45 minutes after you return home.
For more information on bed bug prevention, visit Orkin.com. Listen to our interview with a bed bug expert.